These instructions will show you how to generate a list of surnames along with the frequency with which they appear in Microsoft Excel files.
- Save the file under a new name,
- Delete all columns except for Surnames of the individual, mother and father,
- Copy all of the surname entries into column A,
- Sort column A alphabetically,
- Select column A,
- From the Data menu, select Subtotals..., and click OK (with the default settings):
- Click the (newly created) column 2 on the extreme left hand side:
- Select columns A and B
- From the Edit menu, select Go To and click on the button labeled Special...
- In the Go To Special dialog select Visible cells only and click OK
- Now everything is highlighted and there are double lines under each cell,
- Select columns A and B and do a Copy:
- Insert a new page,
- From the Edit menu, select Paste Special...
- Select values and click OK
- Perform a Find and Replace on " count", replacing it with nothing.
You may want to relabel the column headings (Surname for column A and Frequency for column B).
The data will be sorted by Surname, but you can now resort by Frequency if you want to.